Skip to main content

Even now, at 9 p.m. Pacific Time, I'm gettin about 140,000 page views per hour. We started the day with two webheads and one database server (a killer machine we installed this morning).

We installed a third webhead right before the debate. About 30 minutes into the debate, we knew that three wasn't enough, and we threw a fifth machine on our cluster.

This may be boring stuff, but I tell the story to impress just what a killer job the dKos tech team did. Jeremy has been a hero the past two weeks busting his ass to keep up with the site's ridiculous growth. Meanwhile, the folks who host my servers -- Voxel -- were incredibly responsive, and have worked tirelessly the last couple of weeks to make sure we could handle the growth. I couldn't have done any of this without their help.

Update: Oliver Willis has the video of Bush totally losing it.

Update II: LOL, from the comments: "I need some wood for my Internets".

Update III: For the geeks, here's a chart of my bandwidth. For comparison purposes, Slashdot does 120 mbits per day (though their site is quite a bit heavier than the relatively svelte dKos).

This is the one-week view. Tuesday's traffic had been the site's previous high (the veep debate). So today, traffic was over twice my previous high.

Originally posted to Daily Kos on Fri Oct 08, 2004 at 09:17 PM PDT.

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  God Bless Rusty, Kos, and CT (4.00)
    You are all wonderful.

GET YOUR BACK UP DEMOCRATS. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS THING!

by Delaware Dem on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:20:11 AM PDT

•  can we (none)
    get the rapid response/fact check stuff up to the top of the page?

if ron reagan dyed his hair, and i'm not sayin' he did, it was only to show his strength to the communists - hank hill

by leif on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:20:20 AM PDT

•  Trolls at Atrios (none)
    What are all the trolls doing over at Atrios?
  •  Thanks!! - and diary whoring (none)
    The tech team at dKos KICKS ASS!!

And so does MY tech team - first TV ad has been put together and has about 2.5 hrs left of sneak preview, as noted here

•  Olympia's favorite sysadmin (none)
    Thanks, CT.
  •  Thanks (none)
    Nice.

"Words and excuses meet incompetence, chaos and death. That's what this election is about."
    ~~ Josh Marshall

by Ddeele on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:21:46 AM PDT

•  Awesome job guys..awesome. (none)
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    •  Ditto...absolutely; great job!!! (none)
      Thanks for all your hard work. You don't know how much both this site and the efforts you expound to keep it running really mean to everyone.

"You can't talk to the ignorant about lies, since they have no criteria." --Ezra Pound

by machopicasso on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:31:16 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Fantastic work. (none)
        Earlier today, during a very, very brief technical glitch (very, very very brief!), I got the maintenance message, and immediately found myself jonesing for my hit of dKos.  The fact that this was the last time it happened -- and that dKos weathered such intense traffic later on -- makes me all the more grateful to the team that is allowing this great community to function so effortlessly.

This site rocks, in every conceivable way.  Thanks, guys.

Nothing requires a greater effort of thought than arguments to justify the rule of nonthought. -- Milan Kundera

by Dale on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 02:51:49 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Hip, Hip! (none)
    Hooraaaaaay!

Great job to all of you.

Thanks, Markos, for your terrific service to democracy.  And frankly, just in time.

•  Awesome Job Guys (none)
    Thank you.
  •  God bless the tech guys (none)
    Thanks one and all
    •  go techies (none)
      thank you Jeremy, thank you voxel--and kos of course.  I live in the middle of no-where and this site has been such a balm to an angry soul.  If the tech crew had left me standed in the dark today, having found the light, well, coulda been a shit storm.
  •  Wow first? (none)
    Even if I'm not. A couple of points.

When he mentioned his only "mistake" was appointments, I think he was talking about hiring people who would later quit and go tell the truth about his corrupt administration.

Did anyone else catch Bush's comment when answering the environment question that he sponsored the healthy forests because they weren't being harvested?

We should pay attention to one thing Bush said: "Look at the record of the man running for the president"

Plane Crazy
    Need Wood? (like got milk?)

•  I noticed that too.... (none)
      And I immediately thought about both Colin Powell and Christine Todd Whitman.  Both of whom have, in their own way, have not bowed to the pressure.

Very revealing Freudian slip.

As was his "harvest" comment.

GET YOUR BACK UP DEMOCRATS. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS THING!

by Delaware Dem on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:28:32 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  The bad appointments... (none)
        I'm sure Paul O'Neill was near the top of the list of appointments Bush regrets, though if Powell is also there, then Bush should have fired him ages ago.

All it takes is not to hew to the party line, which surely includes Clarke and, within the last few days, Bremer.  (Odds are that Kerry didn't specifically refer to Bremer's information from the other day because of today's op-ed in the NYTimes taking it all back to give Bush deniability at the debate tonight.)

Who are the other authors of tell-all books on Bush 43's "administration"?  Aren't there more than three by now?  And how many folks have resigned in (public) disgust?  They must be on his list.  (Rather like Ko-Ko's, only for less cause.)

•  War is Murder (none)
    President Bush, suppose you were speaking with a voter who believes that unprovoked, unnecessary war is murder and doesn't want his tax dollars going to support it; what would you tell him?
  •  Big Ups to the tech team (none)
    And to Rusty, who's Scoop software allows this community to do what it does.

Strength without wisdom is a chimera, resolve without competence a travesty. - David Neiwert

by SleepyG on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:23:05 AM PDT

•  Kerry's Blog is Down (none)
    Kerry's Blog have been down.  Was that a sever problem?
  •  You guys rock... (none)
    From a fellow tech-head. My compliments.

...no hell below us, above us only sky.

by rightiswrong on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:24:32 AM PDT

•  kudos (none)

"When I gave food to the poor, they called me a saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, they called me a communist." Dom Helder Camara

by ira on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:24:34 AM PDT

•  Thanks tech studs! (none)
    Do not know WHAT I would have done if I could not check in with DKos tonight! Thanks so much for all your efforts and hard work. Tonight was another GREAT night to be a Dem at DKos!
  •  Kudos (none)
    As a "I don't know what's under the hood" internet user I am delighted that there are people who not only know what's under the hood, but can fix it.  I noticed the site worked well under the onslaught tonight.

Thank you.

•  Does Bush still own the timber company? (none)
    Can someone clarify this for me? The reports on CNN/MSNBC made it seem like he partially owned it in 2001 but not after that.
    However, factcheck.org suggests that he did partially own it in 2002 and 2003 as well, but "he reported his timber income as "royalties" on a different tax schedule.", so he didn't qualify as a small business owner.
    So does he still own it? If we can get a clear "yes" on that, it'll make our post-debate message much stronger.
    •  It's going to be hard... (none)
      to prove that he still owns it today, since he won't be filing his taxes for 2004 until next April.  He could have sold it since January, and we wouldn't know it until 2005.  If he sold the partial ownership before this year, it should have appeared as a capital gain or loss on his released tax returns; I would hope that Annenberg would have noted its sale by examining Bush's 2003 Schedule D.

The fact that he received income from it in 2003 (and probably reported in on Schedule E) indicates that he owned it into 2003; if it doesn't show in Schedule D, then into 2004.  (I suppose he could have given it away, but it seems unlikely.  It's clearly a long-term holding.)

•  Looks like we need to (none)
    send some turkee your way once November 3rd rolls around.

You and the tech team have earned our undying gratitude.  I've been reading for a little over a year now, but just started posting recently.  You've been keeping me sane since last winter, Kos, and I congratulate you on your great success.

So . . . does the baby get to wear a little tux to the inaugural ball, too?  :-D

"It is not clear that intelligence has any long-term survival value." Stephen Hawking

by Helena Handbag on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:25:28 AM PDT

•  The ads got me covered (none)
      Any and all turkee needs to go to Democratic candidates, BlogPAC, and your favorite dem-friendly organizations.

Or buy something nice for your loved ones. There is life outside of politics. I'm afraid some of us forget that sometimes.

•  I don' t know how you do it Kos. (none)
        I am truly in awe.

I know you say you never need any contributions from us.

But truly, I need to do something to thank you.   And I know you would say: "In order to thank me, give to candidates and support the many campaigns."

And I have.

We all have.

But, we, as a community, we need to do something to celebrate your, and our, contribution to the history of the United States.

If we are successful in outsing Bush, I want all of us to hold our own Inaugural Ball, whether it is official or unofficial.  I think many of us need to thank you in person.

If it were not for you, there is no way I would be AS involved in this election, or AS informed as to the truth of this campaign and how to make a difference in this race.

So, I guess what I am saying is that I am forever grateful to you.  You have changed my life.  You have changed many lives.  You have had a major and positive impact on this election and on the history of this wonderful country.

I know you hate this type of talk.  I know it makes you feel guilty.

If you are a honest, honorable and humble man, you WOULD feel that way.  I would too if I were in your shoes.

But you need to hear it.  And little Aristotle needs to know what a wonderful mother and father he has, and how his father and mother were instrumental in making the world a better place.

If this makes you feel guilty....get over it.   Be humble, but realize that many of us need to express that.

Thank You Kos.

From the bottom of my heart.

GET YOUR BACK UP DEMOCRATS. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS THING!

by Delaware Dem on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:43:19 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Thank you, thank you, thank you (none)
    Thank you for makeing this community possible.  I think that it's the only thing that has kept me sane since I found you.  I still can't remember how I stumbled across this community but I just want to say that I think Markos and everyone associated with DKos are the best.
  •  Above and beyond the call of duty. (4.00)

Don't tell the Swift Liars...

--- Bush is LOSING THE WAR in Iraq! Will Kerry have the guts to say that to his face?

by grytpype on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:26:30 AM PDT

•  scoop doesn't scale (none)
    mod_perl doesn't scale well.  Drupal will handle a good slashdotting and given the amount of hardware I bet would handle a huge load compared to scoop.  (I used to run scoop).
    •  Sorry (none)
      There is no drupal site with anywhere near the traffic of several Scoop sites. So you can theorize all you want, but the proof is in the pudding.

Show me a site with over 20 million monthly pageviews running Drupal, and then we'll talk.

•  Wow (none)
        You read your own site. I've recommended Scoop for our local campaign blog, and I'm going to use it for a site I'll open fairly soon at progressive.ca. That's Canada, Bro. Thanks for the inspiration. Like you say, the proof is in the pudding. However, I will use Drupal for the static site on the local campaign.
        •  drupal (none)
          Drupal is much easier to maintain, the code base is cleaner and easier to understand. You don't have to restart apache if you make a change to the code base (a big plus). The throttle module is excellent in making the sit behave well under un-anticipated heavy load. Drupal is one of the few packages that will withstand a /.'ing without resorting to big hardware.
      •  Well.... (none)
        I think Scoop is doing a pretty kick ass job of scaling here, but I hear that SpreadFireFox.com is getting those sorts of numbers running CivicSpace, and is holding up just fine.

I'm all for lots of great CMS tools, especially those with progressive/liberal/kossian viewpoints. :)

•  THANK YOU FOR THE INTERNETS! (none)
  •  Bush 41 or 43 < 41 (none)
    I think I remember someone talking about Bush becoming unhinged at the mention of his father in the post first debate blog churning.

I had this in my mind when he went on his first explosion.  I happened after Kerry used the phrase "General Tony McPeak, who ran the air war for the president's father and did a brilliant job, supporting me;"

Transcript  of Draft Question

I wonder if we just keep hitting the point that 43, you're no 41.  Keep him exploding like that. I wonder if that's what KE04 is doing.

•  aoeu (none)
    Cobb and Badnarik were arrested.

My turtles laughter
    was loud when the Yankees lost
    22 to zilch

by TealVeal on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:30:15 AM PDT

•  Hahaha (none)
      Where was Nader?

Did he get caught in his cape as he was trying to descend from the rafters?

Seriously though, I think we need to support Cobb and Badnarik.  Get them out of jail.  I don't think they should be included in the debate, but they shouldn't be arrested.

GET YOUR BACK UP DEMOCRATS. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS THING!

by Delaware Dem on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:33:47 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  well at least they have balls... (none)
      I wonder where Nader was.  maybe the republicans wouldn't give him back his balls.  He put them up as colateral on the money they gave him

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:36:45 AM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  kos site (none)
    I am relatively new to the Kos site but it quickly had become my favorite. I have participated in the on-line polls and feel like my meager efforts might be worth something. We all need to work hard in these last few weeks to elect Kerry. It is ridiculous that the No wmd information is not being taken up more by the press.
  •  whooo hooo to the tek team.. (none)
    You can get some rest after the election,

Unless there is some skulduggary and then we will need you to cover the riots.

We Glory in war, in the shedding of human blood. What fools we are.

by delver rootnose on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:31:13 AM PDT

•  BUSH WAS ANGRY (none)
    Pundits Agree: BUSH WAS ANGRY:

Andrew Sullivan: "There were moments early on... when he seemed to me to be close to shouting; and his hyper-aggressiveness, having to respond to everything, went at times over the line of persuasiveness."

Ron Forunier, AP: "As he fought to keep his emotions in check in a testy, personal debate with Sen. John Kerry, the president asserted 'That answer almost made me scowl.'... Several answers brought Bush's emotions to the surface, for better or worse, as he sought to curb Kerry's momentum.... Bush was the most aggressive, at one point overrunning moderator Charles Gibson's attempt to pose a question.."

David Niven, political science professor at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton (from the above article):"Bush seemed wound a bit too tight. He was a little like Nixon sort of jumping out of his suit... He looked bad on the TV close-ups.""

Jonah Goldberg, National Review: "WHY DOES BUSH... Sound like he's angry at the guy asking about making drugs cheaper?

Paul Begala: "Good debate. The press will say it's a draw, but I think Kerry bested Bush -- or rather Bush made a few errors. Two words for President Bush: anger management. He spent much of the debate nearly yelling at the audience."

Reuters: "An angry Bush at one point cut off moderator Charles Gibson to upbraid Kerry for criticising the size of the coalition backing the United States in Iraq, saying it denigrated allies like Britain and Poland."

Beth Gorham, CBC: "It all added up to a major challenge for the president, who appeared angry and defensive during attacks from Kerry in a tense sparring match on Sept. 30 that was watched by some 62 million Americans."

Click here and add more...

"George Bush has no strategy for Iraq.  I do." - John Kerry, 9/20/04

by thirdparty on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:31:33 AM PDT

•  Just wanted to give (none)
    props to Jeff Seemann

Brilliant move

"We will not succeed in destroying freedom's adversaries if we are divided from freedom's friends." JK

by Blacklantern on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:36:56 AM PDT

•  Your DB must be good (none)
    But I question your need for the four webheads. What are you running on the boxes? ISS/NT 4.0? Or maybe the boxes are converted Apple Newtons. Heh. Just kidding. The site is really snappy. Good work.
  •  wow! (none)
    sounds like your going to need your own emergency generator and leibert unit for the election.  kudos to your handling of this exceptional traffic.
  •  Speaking of wood from the internets (none)
    look what you can buy on ebay already

Real wood from teh internets!

Liquidtoast Blogl
    ---
    "Hell is other people at breakfast" - Sartre

by Aurostion on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:42:10 AM PDT

•  Is the totally losing movie (none)
    when Bush was interrupting the guy asking the question? Sorry, I'd play it, but it's not working for me right now.

If it's that, I'm going to link to it a bunch.

•  aoeu (none)
    is there a transcript yet?

My turtles laughter
    was loud when the Yankees lost
    22 to zilch

by TealVeal on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:48:36 AM PDT

•  I hates the internets (none)
    theys stoles the internets from us

my precioussssss....

--- My opinions are my own and not my employer's.

by Aexia on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 01:50:12 AM PDT

•  Yea techies! (none)
    You done goods.  You gets the woods!
  •  "I need some wood for my Internets" (none)
    I hope that you don't get a splinter....
  •  Hmmmm.... (none)
    KERRY: "Boy, to listen to that -- the president, I don't think, is living in a world of reality with respect to the environment.

Now, if you're a Red Sox fan, that's OK. But if you're a president, it's not."

As a diehard Red Sox fan, I wonder just what is Kerry implying there? That Red Sox fans are out of touch with reality? Noooo! This can't be! I thought he was one of us! :p

•  My thanks to the techs (none)
    but why the fuck is ANYONE giving Ron Silver a fucking platform? He's plainly wacked. I'm sick of getting emails from righties about how the Boss should shut up, but wackjobs like Silver are "courageous."

and the fucking Bush lawyer ...

I love the women from Newsweek and the Monitor ...

"Don't judge men's wealth or godliness by their Sunday appearance." - Benjamin Franklin

by Madman in the marketplace on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 02:12:08 AM PDT

•  Video Mirror (none)
    If you are having trouble viewing the losing it video I have a mirror of the file up on my site: www.amipatriotic.com

Kyle Shank www.amipatriotic.com

by shanksoft on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 02:12:28 AM PDT

•  The tech team did a fabulous job. (none)
    I do suggest you check the time setting on all the servers. Some of the time stamps tonight were off by at least an hour off real GMT (I noticed this tonight about 7 p.m. EDT and sent email to Kos, but I would expect that to get lost in torrents).
  •  God Bless Kos and all the Kosacks (none)
    I would have totally lost my mind if it wasn't for you guys!
  •  I've followed all the debates on dKos (none)
    (I hate the media) and believe me, it's better than PBS. Thanks to all to the techies, to the commentators, and to Markos for creating a community that would have been unimaginable 10 years ago.

George Bush: All hat and no cattle

by fyreflye on Sat Oct 09, 2004 at 02:22:23 AM PDT

•  I hope you plan a vacation (none)
    or a quick flight from the country, depending on the outcome, after the election.  I suspect that election night you will have more traffic than www.parishiltondoestommylee.com.

sgc

•  Kos, you are amazing (none)
    The bandwidth being sucked is hard on the pocketbook but good for everything else. We are being heard! People come and hear and spread the word! If everyone of those 400 000 people told one other person, tahts almost a million people who know about KOS. My roommate last year got me hooked on this site.
  •  Amazing work techies! (none)
    And Kos for having the wisdom to listen to them.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site